Fiscal Representation

In order to provide our NIF service, there are actually two services that we need to offer:


1. Requesting the NIF with the Portuguese tax office


After you place your order with MoveToCascais, one of our lawyers will submit a NIF request on your behalf. This is a one-time service and after you receive your NIF you will not need it again.


2. Fiscal Representation


In order for our law firm to request a NIF on your behalf, they must be elected as your fiscal representative in Portugal. This is done by signing a Power of Attorney which is provided to you after you place your order. 


As your fiscal representative, our law firm can request a NIF on your behalf and has the responsibility of ensuring that you receive any notices from the tax office.


A fiscal representative is able to offer other legal services as well, but the services included with MoveToCascais fiscal representation are limited to acquiring a NIF and forwarding any messages from the Portuguese tax office. 


Once you elect a fiscal representative, the only way to remove that person's responsibilities is by assigning a new fiscal representative. For our customers, that usually means assigning themselves as the fiscal representative after they move to Portugal. We include 12 months of fiscal representation when our customers order a NIF. For most people, this gives them enough time to acquire a residential address in Portugal and cancel ongoing fiscal representation services. 


Alternatively, if you're not going to become a tax resident of Portugal then you can select a different fiscal representative to cancel our ongoing fees.

Here are instructions for how to cancel Bordr's fiscal representation services.

After you receive your NIF and obtain acceptable proof of address in Portugal (see details below), you can follow the instructions below to cancel any ongoing fiscal representation fees from MoveToCascais. 


Step 1. Prepare your documents


Before requesting your change of address, you will need to prepare the following items:


  • Your NIF PDF

  • Access to the Portal das Finances website. You will receive your password 3-4 weeks after receiving your NIF.¬†

  • Proof of Address¬†in Portugal -¬†see acceptable documents here


Step 2. Submit your request to change your address 

Follow these instructions to update your address with the Portuguese tax office


Step 3. Receive your updated NIF with your new address


After the tax office receives your request, they will issue you an updated NIF with your address in Portugal and remove our lawyer as your fiscal representative. According to previous customers, this process can take about 1 month.


Step 4. Email your updated NIF to MoveToCascais


After you receive your new NIF, email us a copy at and we will cancel any future fiscal representation charges.

You can use any of the following documents as proof of address in Portugal:


  • Portugal residence permit - For most of our customers, this is the simplest proof of address that you can provide to the Portugal tax office. It is also known as the "T√≠tulo de resid√™ncia".
  • CRUE - If you are an EU citizen, you can provide your European Union Citizen Registration Certificate ("Certificado de Registro de Cidad√£o da Uni√£o Europeia")
  • Housing lease/rental agreement that is registered with Portal das Finan√ßas¬†-¬†Learn more -¬†Why does my lease agreement need to be registered with the tax office?
  • Employment contract
  • Deed of acquisition of property for housing
  • Proof that you have been in Portuguese territory for more than 183 days, consecutive or otherwise,¬†in any 12-month period
  • Atestado De Resid√™ncia - A document issued by your parish council (Freguesia) certifying your current residence*


*Some tax offices do not accept the Atestado De Residência to remove your fiscal representative. Please contact your tax office for more information.

The fiscal representation that our law firm offers is limited to the acquisition of your NIF. There are other services that a fiscal representative can provide, but if you are interested in anything outside of getting a NIF, you will need to find a separate provider for those needs.

EU citizens are able to request a Portuguese NIF for themselves by going to a tax office. However, if you want someone to request a NIF on your behalf (which is the case if you use MoveToCascais services), you will need to appoint a fiscal representative.

The only way to cancel the fiscal representation fees is by assigning a new fiscal rep (usually yourself, but it can be another tax resident in Portugal). See this helpful article for more info - How do I cancel my fiscal representation with MoveToCascais?

Prepare the following:


1. Your Tax Representative's name and NIF. 
This can be found on your NIF document (see image below)

Tax Representative's



2. Access to the Portal das Finances website
Once we receive your NIF, we request your password from the Portuguese tax office. The password is sent to us by mail in 3-4 weeks. Once we receive your password, we send it to you via email.


3. Proof of address in Portugal
You can find a list of acceptable documents here - What can I use as proof of address in Portugal?

Log into Portal das Finanças

1. Go to this URL -


2. Enter your NIF and password


3. Click the "Autenticar" button


Portal das Finanças

Submit your request

1. You should see the following dropdown fields. 

Registro Contribuinte

2. Select the following for the 3 dropdown fields:

  • Imposto ou √°rea = Registro Contribuinte (Tax or area = Taxpayer Registration)

  • Tipo de quest√£o = Identific (Type of question = Identified)

  • Quest√£o = Altera√ß√£o Morada/Singulares (Question = Change of Address / Singular)

Alteração Morada


3. Click the button that says "N√£o"

Alteração Morada4. Fill out the form

In the text field labeled Assunto (Subject), input:

Alteração de Morada e Cancelamento de Representação Fiscal

Translation: Change of Address and Cancellation of Tax Representation


Change of Address and Cancellation

In the text field labeled Mensagem (Message), copy-paste the following message and update the 3 items in brackets:

Prezado(a), bom dia!
Espero que esteja bem. Venho por meio deste solicitar a minha alteração de morada.
Minha atual morada é: [insert your new address here]
Por fim, solicito também o cancelamento da representação fiscal do [your tax representative's name] - NIF [your tax representative's NIF], tendo em vista a atualização da minha morada em Portugal.
Muito obrigada pelo atendimento e tenha um bom dia.


Dear, good morning!
I hope you're well. I hereby request my change of address.
My current address is: [insert your new address here]
Finally, I also request the cancellation of the tax representation of [your tax representative's name] - NIF [your tax representative's NIF], with a view to updating my address in Portugal.
Thank you very much for the service and have a good day.

Registar Quest√£o

Finally, attach your new proof of address document. This has to be a single file with a maximum size of 5MB.

Registro Contribuinte2

6. Click the blue "Registar Quest√£o" button to send the request. Translation: "Register question"


Register question

That's it! You should receive confirmation that your request has been received over the next few days. 

You can check if your request has been fulfilled by going to this link: 

In Portugal, residential lease agreements must be registered with one of two systems:


  1. Portal das Finanças for long term leases or
  2. Alojamento Local (AL) for short term ones

In order to cancel MoveToCascais fiscal representation fees, you will need to provide proof that you are a tax resident in Portugal. As a tax resident, you do not need a fiscal representative and can cancel the fiscal representation of MoveToCascais law firm.


Most tax offices will ask that your lease be registered with Portal das Finanças to demonstrate that you have a long-term residence in Portugal. You can ask your landlord for help with this

MoveToCascais has partnered with Portuguese lawyers who act as fiscal representatives for our clients.


As a fiscal representative, it is their responsibility is to act as the in-between for you and the Portuguese tax office. With your permission, they can apply for a NIF on your behalf. Beyond that, their ongoing responsibility is to communicate any notices that they receive from the Portuguese tax office.