Most Popular Articles

You will need the following documents in order to complete our order form:


1. Copy of Passport*


A high-quality scanned image or photo of your passport. *EU Citizens can use their National ID Card. Photos of both sides of the ID must be provided.


  • Text is legible

  • No shadows

  • No light reflections

  • Must be valid (i.e not expired)

  • Signature is fully visible

  • All four corners of the document are visible


2. Proof of address


A document that serves as proof of your residential address outside of Portugal. – "What can I use as Proof of Address?"

3. Requesting a NIF for a minor under the age of 18?

See the additional requirements below:

  • Birth Certificate of minor

  • Copy of first parent's passport

  • Copy of second parent's passport

4. Were you born in Portugal and/or hold Portuguese citizenship?

You will need to provide a copy of your Portugal-issued birth certificate. If you do not have one, you can order one by filling out our Portuguese Birth Certificate Order Form.

Yes! An electronic signature is accepted provided that it matches the signature on your passport exactly.


  • All four corners of the document must be visible
  • Passport is signed
  • Text is legible
  • No shadows
  • No light reflections
  • Passport is not expired

Check out our visual guide below:


No, you will not receive any physical mail at the address that you use on your NIF application.

You will receive your NIF as a PDF over email at the end of the process

No, you do not need to notarize the Power of Attorney document. You simply need to make sure that your signature on the Power of Attorney document matches the one on your passport exactly.

MoveToCascais supports all nationalities for getting their NIF!

No, you will need to use an address outside of Portugal to apply for your NIF.

After you move to Portugal and become a tax resident, then you can update your address with your Portuguese one.

You should use the same address that you intend to use for your visa application, keeping in mind that the address that you use for your visa application dictates which embassy/consulate you need to submit your application to. 
For example, if you are a US citizen living in Mexico and would like to apply for the D7 visa through the Portugal Embassy in Mexico City, you will need to use your address in Mexico rather than a US one.
If you have any questions regarding your specific situation, we recommend that you contact the Portugal embassy/consulate nearest to your residential address.

Nope! In fact, you need to use your residential address in your home country (outside of Portugal).

Documents in Spanish or Portuguese are acceptable. You only need to provide an English translation if the document is not written in the Roman alphabet. The translated document doesn't need to be notarized.

Simply fill out the order form with your child's details. 


If your child is under 18 years of age, you will need to provide the following additional documents:


  1. Birth Certificate of minor
  2. Copy of first parent's passport
  3. Copy of second parent's passport

Both parents will also need to sign the Power of Attorney. This is a document that is sent shortly after completing the online checkout process.


If you are a single parent, please provide one of the following documents in place of the second parent's passport:


  • Proof of custody
  • Death certificate

If you are a Portuguese citizen, we will need a copy of your birth certificate in Portugal. This applies even if you were born outside of Portugal or are a dual citizen.

If you do not have a copy of your birth certificate, our lawyers are able to assist with getting this document for an additional $100 (USD). You can order yours by filling out this form - Portuguese Birth Certificate Order Form.

If you have a Portuguese Cartão de Cidadão, please make sure that you have not been issued a NIF in the past. If you already have a NIF and request for another one through Bordr, the request will get rejected since you cannot be issued more than one NIF.

Please refer to the images below:

all four corners of the document must be visible

portugal driver lic


Unfortunately, this is not possible. The tax office will register your NIF using your name exactly as it appears on the passport provided.