We generally recommend that you apply for a NIF within 12 months of moving to Portugal to save on the cost of fiscal representation.
When you order a NIF through MoveToCascais, 12 months of fiscal representation is included in the price of the NIF. After the first 12 months, you will be charged an annual fiscal representation fee.
You can cancel your fiscal representation at any time by updating your address with the Portuguese tax office. See this helpful article for more info - How do I cancel my fiscal representation with MoveToCascais?
Here's an outline of our process:
1. Prepare your documents - What documents do I need to apply for a NIF?
2. Place an order on our website - https://movetocascais.com/
- After you place your order, we will review your documents and generate a Power of Attorney that will be sent to you via email. You will need to print, sign, scan, and return the document to us via email.
- Can I sign the Power of Attorney electronically?
- You will receive an email containing your NIF number and NIF document attached. The NIF document will act as your proof of NIF anytime anyone asks you for it.
- MoveToCascais will request the password for you, which will be mailed to us. We will then forward that to you so that you can log into your account. This takes about 3-4 weeks since the password is sent by mail.
- Once you have become a Portugal tax resident, you can update your address with the tax office to cancel MoveToCascais fiscal representation fees. See this article for more information - How do I cancel my fiscal representation with MoveToCascais?
- We include 12 months of fiscal representation when you order your NIF. At the end of that 12 month period of time, your fiscal representation will automatically be renewed at a rate of $150/year. As long as you provide proof that you have updated your address with the tax office within those first 12 months and notify us, you will not be charged.
No, you can apply for a NIF at any time. As we understand, some consulates require applicants to have a NIF and Portuguese bank account set up before submitting their visa application. You should check with the Portugal consulate that you will be applying through to get confirmation on their requirements.
To be safe, we would recommend starting the process 2 months ahead of your appointment.
Getting a NIF typically takes around 1-2 weeks. Then opening a bank account takes an additional 3-4 weeks after that.
Usually, you can expect to receive your NIF in about 1-2 weeks.