A little bit about expenses

NIF, rent and utility bills in Portugal. Answers to frequently asked questions.

Table of Contents

Hello, folks! This is MoveToCascais and our regular column, Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

How do I apply for a NIF on my own?

In order to get a NIF in Portugal, you need to go to the tax office. If you are outside the country, you can ask a lawyer or a financial representative for help. If you are already in Portugal and you are going to obtain a tax number on your own you need a guarantor, who must be a Portuguese citizen.

Do I have to have a NIF in order to rent a house on a long term basis?

If you are not visiting Portugal for a week and you are going to rent an apartment for a long term period you will definitely need to obtain a tax number. You will need it to sign a contract with a landlord. If you do not have a tax number, no landlord will want to sign a long-term lease with you. In addition, you’ll also need your employment contract, bank statement, or any other documents that show you’re solvent.

If I rented a long term apartment, how should I pay my utilities?

The first thing you need to do when you rent an apartment in Portugal is to transfer the utility bills into your name. When you move into your new apartment, be sure to take photos of the meters. Then, find out from the owner of the apartment which providers he has a contract with. Contact them and make a new contract. You will need your NIF, passport, rental contract, and meter data.


*Материал отражает историю героя статьи в интерпретации автора; относительно описанных методов и процессов при получении ВНЖ – они могут не совпадать с реальным мнением редакции MoveToCascais по этому поводу. 

На нашем веб-сайте мы используем cookie файлы для улучшения вашего пользовательского опыта, повышения эффективности работы и отслеживания статистических данных. Продолжая работу с сайтом, вы соглашаетесь на использование файлов cookie.